Vault Comics Announces Scary Horror Western Series (Exclusive)
CBR exclusively announces horror western from Vault Comics, The Rush, by Si Spurrier, Nathan Gooden, Addison Duke, Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou and Tim Daniel.
Vault Comics enters the era of the gold rush in The rush, a scary western horror series from writer Si Spurrier, (Way of X, Hellblazer, Coda), artist Nathan Gooden (Barbaric, The Dark One by Brandon Sanderson), colorist Addison Duke (Barbaric, Vampire: La Mascarade), letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (The Blue Flame, To the engine) and designer Tim Daniel. Martin Simmonds (The Department of Truth, Friend) will provide cover variants.
“I have waited to tell this story for years,” said Spurrier. “Finally, a project that allows me to merge my most stubborn concerns – myths, horrors of human desire and the power of stories – with my hitherto unexplored geek for history.
“In The rush we tell a story of the last great gold rush: an episode of human endurance so accurately recorded that after hundreds of hours of research, those of us who The rush can feel the rough wood grain of every squeaking sled, hear the cries of every hungry horse left on the trail, smell the festering wounds of frozen miners as the thaw sets in and cringe at the consuming, defiant desire the senses and maddening for gold that upset the hearts and minds of 100,000 ordinary people at the end of the 19th century. . We rapturously delved into the slang and syntax of the time, we referenced hundreds of photographs and testimonies, we borrowed lives, names and faces, all to create a truly faithful picture of that amazing time and place. …
“… and then … in this world of greed, desperation and detail, we layered a sediment of myths, monsters and horrors. Shady forests, scuttling giants and nightmares made flesh.”
“This is the story I’ve been waiting to tell since I started in comics,” Gooden said. “I’m a huge western fan. Actually my first comic book project is a self-published graphic novel, Dead eye, is a horror story set in the late 1800s in the West. One of my favorite comics growing up was the anthology series, Western Tales of Terror. I’m always drawn to the genre, so when I first read the plan for The rush, I knew I had to be a part of it.
“As we all know, Si is a brilliant writer. I was blown away by the amount of research he had done for this project. I guess that’s why he’s one of the best. a time and a place you think you know so well, until you start digging deeper and realize that there are worlds of information to be discovered. Plus, this is Si Spurrier , horror and monsters! What more could you ask for? “
The rush # 1
- Written by Si Spurrier
- Illustration by Nathan Gooden
- Colors by Addison Duke
- Letters from Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou
- Design by Tim Daniel
- This starving land reddens beneath the snow-capped hills.
- 1899, Yukon Territory. A frozen border, bloodied and bruised by the last great gold rush. But in the lawless deserts of the north, something whispers in the hindbrain of men, dragging them into a devastated valley, where giant spider tracks mark the snow and impossible cannons roar through the night.
- In Brokehoof, where gold and blood are mined the same way. Now, stumbling to her haunted forests comes a woman seized not by greed – but by the surging rage of a mother in search of her child …
- From Si Spurrier (Way of X, Hellblazer) and Nathan Gooden (Barbaric, Dark One) comes THE RUSH, a dark and lyrical dive into the horror and madness of the wild Yukon.
KEEP READING: Russell & Tiesma’s Deadbox Unlocks Horrors of a DVD Rental Machine (Exclusive)
The Sinister Six: Why Spider-Man’s greatest villains have been missing for decades
About the Author