October 6, 2021 – Multiversity Comics
Welcome to The Rundown, our daily analysis of the comedy news we missed from yesterday. A link to share? Email our team at [email protected]
Conxita Herrero cover
– NBM Graphic Novels announced four titles slated for release between May and August 2022:
– Noelle Stevenson announced that they have signed up to post comics about “transition, mental health, career and life in general” on Substack, with much of the comics free to read, and more of “personal or intimate comics” for subscribers because of the greater sense of privacy given by the paywall. In the announcement of the Substack deal, Stevenson – who is non-binary and transmasculine – explained that they use he / him pronouns widely these days and use the name “ND Stevenson” on the site. It will update their Substack twice a week, although timing details have not been revealed, and will donate money raised by subscribers to the transgender support charity, Genderbands.
– Marvel Comics has announced that “Champions” will end with issue number 10, which was released today, October 6th. Newsarama has announced that number 10 is the intended endpoint for Danny Lore and Luciano Vecchio’s creative team. The issue contains the creative team’s thoughts following the series’ conclusion, with Lore stating, “Every meme, tweet and photo you’ve all used to show your love of Champions is why this book will hold a place in my heart forever… Your enthusiasm was the flame that kindled the very enthusiasm that Luciano and I brought to the page. Vecchio described that he wrote his ruminations on the series after drawing his last page, and said that “while it is always a little sad to finish a project, the feeling of joy and satisfaction of a collaboration great and fun far surpasses it ”.
– “The Legend of Aunt Poe” by Shing Yin Khor was revealed to be one of five finalists in the Children’s Literature category for the National Book Awards 2021. The graphic novel is set in 1885 and sees a youngster of 13 year old called Mei reimagine Paul Bunyan myths with an elderly Chinese heroine named Po Pan Yin at the center. Mei tells the stories of Aunt Poe to help her navigate her working life in a logging camp in the Sierra Nevada and deal with her growing love for her friend Bee. The winners of the 2021 National Book Awards will be announced in an online ceremony on November 17. You can read the full list of finalists for each of the five categories here.
– Deadline announced the addition of three new cast members for the upcoming third season of The boys: Frances Turner will play Monique, the wife of Mother’s Milk, with Kristin Booth and Jack Doolan who will play the TNT Twins, Tessa and Tommy respectively. They are expected to join newcomer Jensen Ackles as Soldier Boy, alongside the return of Karl Urban as Billy Butcher, Jack Quaid as Hughie Campbell and Erin Moriarty as Annie January. The Amazon Prime Video series adapts the comic book of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. An untitled spinoff series focused on a college of “supers” was commissioned by Amazon Prime Video last week. A broadcast date for the third season of The boys has not yet been announced.
– The deadline also revealed that Dan Fogler’s Heavy Metal published series “Moon Lake” is slated to be adapted into an animated television series. Heavy Metal Studios, Irony Point’s Daniel Powell and Bardel Entertainment will collaborate on the adaptation (Rick and morty). The series will be an anthology of different stories that use “classic tropes of monsters, horror and sci-fi in hilarious ways,” all anchored by its narrator, The Man on the Moon, who weaves the stories together to entertain aliens. and stop their plans to attack Earth. Fogler will executive produce the show alongside Powell, Tommy Coriale and Matthew Medney of Heavy Metal Studios, as well as Tina Chow and Richard Grieve of Bardel Entertainment. Moon Lake currently has no release date.
– Finally, during a virtual launch event for HBO Max in Europe, WarnerMedia released the first clip of the upcoming Peacemaker series. In the clip John Cena’s The suicide squad the character, Peacemaker, arrives at a restaurant for a reunion in “full cosplay mode”. Peacemaker’s meeting is with Jennifer Holland and Steve Agee, reprising their respective roles as Emilia Harcourt and John Economos, and newcomers Chukwudi Iwuji, playing Clemson Murn, Amanda Waller’s No. 1, and Danielle Brooks as Leota Adebayo , a new recruit at ARGUS. At the event, WarnerMedia also highlighted details of its European launch on October 26, including subscription prices, and announced that the streaming service will launch in seven other European countries, including Turkey and the United States. Netherlands, in 2022. Peacemaker is slated to debut on HBO Max in January 2022. You can check out the Peacemaker clip here, and see full details about the European launch of HBO Max here.