An animated film unveils the 8 Eurimages Co-Pro nominees
The Council of Europe’s Eurimages Fund and Cartoon have once again joined forces to designate this year’s winner of the Eurimages Co-production Development Award. Endowed with a cash prize of €20,000, this prize was created to promote the Fund’s role in encouraging international co-production from the earliest stages of a project, while recognizing the particular qualities and strengths of these animated feature collaborations.
Eight of the 57 projects at various stages of creation selected to present to Cartoon (March 8-10) were nominated:
At the Arche at 8
Produced by Zooper Film (Germany) – Co-produced by Now Films (Germany), Parka Pictures (Denmark) & Hydralab (Denmark)
- Based on Ulrich Hub’s best-selling novel, At the Arche at 8 is an updated version of the Noah’s Ark story. At the Arche at 8 is told from the perspective of three penguins breaking the rule of only two of each species by secretly boarding the Ark as a trio, humorously and insightfully exploring ancient and contemporary issues raised by biblical myth.
Produced by Atom Art (Latvia) – Co-produced by Letko (Poland) & Pikkukala (Finland)
- During summer vacation, nine-year-old Ilze joins his family in the rainforest where they live with the Pemon tribe near Devil’s Mountain. When mom has to transport dad to the hospital, Ilze volunteers to look after her three-year-old brother, Alex. However, instead of paying attention to his brother, Ilze’s nose is stuck in a book. When Ilze finally looks up, she discovers that Alex has disappeared into the jungle. Exciting and sometimes risky adventures unfold as she sets out to find him before their parents return.
Produced by Dream Well (Latvia) – Co-produced by Sacrebleu Productions (France) & CINÉ-LITTÉ Productions (Germany)
- After a terrible flood ravages the world, a stubbornly independent cat is forced to share a small boat with a group of other animals. Getting along with them proves to be an even greater challenge for him than surviving the flood.
Produced by Barletta (Czech Republic) – Co-produced by Novanima Productions (France) & NOVINSKI (Slovakia)
- It’s back to school. At 13, Ben discovers the effects of puberty on his classmates, who have changed a lot, especially Claire, who is now very pretty. Ben would like her to notice, but he’s clinging to his weight, and even the school nurse is worried about him. Despite his passion for cooking, Ben decides to embark on a long and difficult diet. To cope with the bullying of Max and his gang, Ben can count on the support of his crazy family and his friends Claire, Eric and Sonia. They founded a group for the Christmas show, at the end of a year that made them all grow, with confidence in themselves, in life and in love.
Produced by Need Productions (Belgium) – Co-produced by Creative Touch Studios (France) & Special Touch Studios (France)
- After more than 25 years of absence, Paul Rivest returns to Melvile. He knows this small town well enough, having spent all his summer vacations there when he was a child with his grandmother. Feeling responsible for the death of his first love and best friend in a fire that ravaged the region the summer of his 15th birthday, his return to Melvile forces him to stir up the past. As Paul uncovers the true reasons for Ruth and Thomas’ deaths, his time in Melvile turns into a nightmare – the town of Melvile isn’t done with him.
Produced by Special Touch Studios (France) – Co-produced by Aparte Film (Romania)
- Loveness, a little albino girl, tries to survive in a poor Zimbabwe neighborhood ironically named Los Angeles. One day, she has a strange encounter in the forest of the black king. The danger is near, she risks her life if she stays on Earth.
Trip to Teulada
Produced by Isla Productions (France) – Co-produced by 2d3D Animations (France) & Mommotty (Italy)
- Assunta, an elderly woman, collapses from exhaustion. She is rescued by her neighbor Fatima, a Syrian teenager. When the old woman regains consciousness, she makes a strange discovery: her apartment is now invaded by the inhabitants of her childhood village in Sardinia. She then relives the ups and downs of her youth, when NATO decided to establish in her little paradise one of its largest military maneuvering grounds, forcing them to flee their homeland.Trip to Teuladais a kind of homecoming for Assunta, but it is also the meeting of two immigrants from different backgrounds and different times, who will help each other to go far.
Produced by Submarine (Netherlands) – Co-produced by Tchack (France)
- The young Vincent finds it difficult to respect the rules and prefers to wander in nature, alone or with his brother Theo. But all his parents see is a troublesome, disobedient child. So they sent him to boarding school. Alone and far from home, Vincent finds comfort in his imagination and writes long illustrated letters to Theo. Then he befriends a popular boy named Paul, who also likes to draw. Paul is Vincent’s only friend, but their friendship is complicated. Vincent finds a way to escape from boarding school using his dream world and his imagination. He runs all the way back home, where he finds Theo waiting for him.